20/07/2015

PRINTING MY SHORT STORY




I love writing and, for me, completing a full short story is a big achievement.

I'm not officially prepared to share it online for many different reasons but I though it would be a great idea to answer any questions on creating your own amatuer book at home.

When?
I had a lot of spare time for this and, although I went through a two week period of writing nothing at all, I would say it took me around five to six weeks. I would often get stuck into it in the evenings and my creativity would be able to spill out for a long time at once.

Who?
The characters in this story are heavily inspired by characters in books that I've read before. That includes two of my favourite books: Aristotle and Dante (inspired the relationships and family aspect) and Ketchup Clouds (inspired the love triangle concept). I didn't get any help for this story so any mistakes are my own and I did quite a bit of research for some details. I would love to get this officially edited and shared - it's my absolute dream.

What?
This short story is 25 pages long, 15 chapters, 9300+ words. I printed it unprofessionally so the text isn't the completely correct size and each page has a blank side. The reason why this story means a lot to me is because of the stamina that it represents. All of the Authors out there do not get enough appreciation for the fact that they kept writing and overcame any lack of self faith (which I definitely lack).

Why?
There was no actual reason for me to print this because, obviously, I'm not going to sell the version I printed at home. I printed it because I wanted it to feel more like a book.

How?
The tools that I used were the printer and paper for the book pages. Binding it together uses technical tools but I managed to find some substitutes. I used 2 staples (any amount is acceptable), 2 hair grips (any kind of grip or clips is also good), a stitch unpicker (I happened to have one lying around, it was very useful put you can use anything from pins, needles or thin pliers), and a ruler and pencil.

I straightened my pages and laid them flat then evenly measured the spots where I wanted to add my staples. I then punctured holes through the spine for the staple using my pin and unpicker. Slid the staples through and folded them over. It got really easy once I had the hang of it and I'm delighted with the turn out. I used this tutorial for help.

I'm super excited about finally having this complete.

What do you think? Would you ever write a short story?

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! I write too:) I'm definitely using this idea sometime
    http://mermaidswlipstick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete